Lately, coconut sugar has become a popular alternative to white sugar. It is now considered as one of the nutritious sugars available in the market. Organic coconut sugar bakes different recipes perfectly like white sugar. However, it has a taste similar to brown sugar and offers many health benefits.
Therefore, many fitness-conscious people are using organic coconut sugar to make healthier snacks, like digestive biscuits and peanut butter hearts.
Here we have shared these two easy-to-make healthy snack recipes with you. But before that let’s find out how it’s made.
How is coconut sugar made?
The process of making coconut sugar begins with the harvesting of palm sap and mixing some water in it. The water-mixed palm sap is further boiled to form a thick syrup, which the manufacturers leave at room temperature and further crystallize.
After that, they break the crystals to make fine sugar granules. And, finally, it appears more like cane sugar but with amazing nutritional benefits.
Organic coconut sugar’s nutritional profile
Organic coconut sugar has a low glycemic index and low calories compared to processed white sugar. It also includes many healthy nutrients, like iron, potassium, calcium, and zinc. All these nutrients are great to improve metabolism and make bones stronger. It even includes soluble dietary fiber inulin, which helps improve gut health while preventing blood sugar spikes.
It may taste sweet like processed sugar, but it is a healthier and far better option if you compare its health benefits and nutritional contents.
How To Make Healthy Snacks With Coconut Sugar
Here’s how you can use Pristine Food Farm’s organic coconut sugar to make healthy snacks:
Recipe 1: Healthy Digestive Biscuits with Organic Coconut Sugar
Cooking time: 55 to 60 minutes
Serves: 18 cookies
1 cup oat flour (gluten-free)
1/4 cup organic coconut sugar
3/4 cup plain white gluten-free flour
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted organic butter
3 tbsp milk
- Preheat an oven to 180*c.
- Take a large bowl and mix all the dry ingredients.
- Put the butter in a microwave to melt it. And, pour it into the mixed dry ingredients. After that, add milk.
- Use hands to mix it and prepare a dough.
- Keep the dough in the fridge for around 30 minutes so that it’s easier to use.
- Place the dough on a work surface and flatten it with your hands. The dough will get crumbly, so take your own time.
- Now, use cookie cutters to make any shape you like and further transfer it onto a baking sheet. Bake it for 20-25 minutes until the healthy biscuits turn golden brown.
Also read: Types Of Natural Sweeteners You Need To Know
Recipe 2: Chocolate Peanut Butter Hearts
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
200g coconut butter (or creamed coconut)
1 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
3 tbsp organic coconut sugar
a pinch of salt (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp peanut butter (you can choose anyone you like).
- Use coconut butter (around 200g). However, you may find it hard to take it out due to its sealed packaging with plastic wrap. To make it easier to pour it out, you have to soak the coconut butter with its plastic wrap in a warm water bowl. This will make it softer and easier to pour out.
- Pour coconut butter and coconut oil into a pan. And, heat the pan on medium-low flame. When everything melts, add cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add coconut sugar and vanilla extract. After that, leave it to cool off a little.
- Take a small microwaveable dish, put peanut butter in it, and heat it in a microwave for a few seconds. This will make it convenient to work with.
- You can use chocolate molds and fill them with chocolate halfway. After that, add some peanut butter and again top up with more chocolate.
- Let it freeze for up to 1 hour or until the chocolate sets.
These two healthy snacks using coconut sugar are super delicious and easy to make. From kids to grownups, everyone will love these healthy snacks. These are good to serve in the evening with hot chocolate or evening tea/coffee.
If you are thinking of following a healthy diet and replacing processed sugar with a natural substitute, go for organic coconut sugar. Explore the Diet Angel website to find out more information about coconut sugar and to purchase it.
You can also read: Cacao Powder For Disease Prevention