In literal terms, osteoporosis is defined as the “porous bones”. It’s a disease that affects many people worldwide. Bones are actually living tissues which constantly undergo a process known as remodeling. Bone remodeling is a process in which old bone tissue dissolves and new bone cells form. But in those suffering from osteoporosis, bones dissolve at a much higher rate than they can form.
What you may not know, however, is that osteoporosis is largely preventable. Yes, genetics will always play its role. In Malaysia, most people adopt a well-planned diet consisting of organic vegan products rich in calcium or other nutrients, which are highly advantageous for bone health.
Follow the below mentioned guidelines to significantly reduce the risk of osteoporosis and osteoporotic fractures.
1. Increase Your Intake of Raw Cacao Products – Organic raw cacao-based products are the rich source of magnesium. Magnesium suppresses Parathyroid Hormone (PTH) production and helps to prevent too much calcium from being leached from the bones. Magnesium helps to put calcium back into the bones. Consume organic raw cacao products as they make your bones strong by restoring the balance between calcium and magnesium.
2. Up Your Intake of Green Leafy Vegetables – Vegetables contain less calcium than milk, but their better absorption rates and lower calorie levels make up for that. The human body absorbs around 50 percent of the calcium from the green leafy vegetables so your body ends up with slightly more calcium, around 100 milligrams. Leafy greens are the best sources of vitamin K, which improves the overall bone health. Vitamin C found in green leafy vegetables supports the structure of bones by preventing bone loss.
3. Do More Weight Bearing Exercise – The same way in which lifting weight promotes the formation of new muscle tissues, some weight bearing exercises slow bone loss and promotes bone formation. Think walking, jogging, climbing stairs, and rope jumping. If you’ve already been diagnosed with osteopenia (a lower bone density than normal) or osteoporosis, however, it’s best to avoid jogging because it can be unsafe and actually increase the risk of breakage.
4. Lower Your Caffeine and Soda Intake – Caffeinated beverages and certain sodas can adversely affect the mineral density of your bones. This is more evident in case of women. It is believed this is due to the fact that caffeine causes urinary excretion of calcium. Also, many sodas are the rich source of phosphoric acid which has been shown to interfere with calcium absorption.
5. Consume Less Sugar – Just like caffeine and soda, sugar too affects the bone mineral density adversely. Opt for Diet Angel’s Organic Coconut Nectar and Heritage Palm Sugars to satiate that sweet tooth. These are the ‘nature’s perfect sweeteners’ and are a perfect replacement for high fructose sweeteners. They are naturally high in nutrients and low on the Glycemic Index.
The good news is that with few simple lifestyle modifications and by adopting a diet highly rich in organic vegan products, you can prevent osteoporosis. Because, just like Hippocrates said, food is the best medicine, after all.